Yoga is an ancient and timeless art, science, and philosphy.
Yoga is a science of health and spiritual awareness that has endured the ages for a simple reason - it works! It touches aperson's life at every level: physical, mental, and spiritual.
Yoga incorporates eight limbs (astanga) or aspects: yama, niyama,asana, pranayama, pratyahara, dharana, dhyana, and samadhi, or respectively: moral and ethical principles, postures, yoga breathing,withdrawal of senses, concentration, meditation and profound meditation.
Yoga is "skill in action".
Yoga is "evenness of mind".
Yoga is "stilling of the waves of thought".
Yoga is the union of body, mind, & soul.
Iyengar yoga is classical yoga. It is based upon the teachings of Shri B.K.S. Iyengar, world renowned Yoga master. The Iyengar method is safe, orderly, and progressive, and the postures are adjusted to meet the conditions and needs of each student. Strength, coordination, flexibility and an increased sense of well-being are some of the benefits of the Iyengar method. Applied therapeutically, Yoga is an effective tool in relieving back pain, and many other problems.
The philosophy and practice of Yoga encourage wellness,preventative care and stress reduction. Yoga is a self-help means to health, vitality, and greater personal and spiritual awareness
• Improves strength & flexibility
balance & coordination, & stamina
• Deep relaxation & stress reduction experienced
• Increased sense of well-being
• Emphasis on standing poses to develop strength, stamina, concentration and body alignment.
• A safe, orderly, systematic progression of poses to develop the student's ability both within the class and from class to class.
• Use of props, such as blankets, blocks and straps, to facilitate learning and adjust poses to an individual's needs.
• Highly developed teaching methodology including the precise use of language, demonstration and teaching of specific points of action in a pose, individual correction and adjustments of students.
• Ways to use yoga to ease various aliments and stress.
• Complete integration of the yoga philosophy with the practice of asana.
Further Considerations for Athletes
Shri B.K.S. Iyengar
Who is B.K.S. Iyengar?
Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar is the foremost living authority on yoga. In over 70 years of dedicated practice and teaching he has revitalized this ancient subject and established its importance for modern man. "Iyengar Yoga" is taught today in almost 175 centers in 40 countries around the globe. Shri Iyengar, in his late-eighties, lives in Pune, India and still maintains a strong daily yoga practice. Time Magazine named B.K.S. Iyengar one of the most 100 influential people in the world!
Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar is the author of numerous classics in the field of yoga a few of which include:
Light on Yoga
Light on Pranayama
Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
The Tree of Yoga
Light on Life